Sunday, September 18, 2011

I dont do that anymore

I have a friend of mine who has thrown herself at cooking/baking in the hopes of getting a man to notice (her words, not mine) and has other outwardly shocking tactics, which she frequently posts on Facebook. I look at her posts and think, was I ever like that? Did I ever post long, boastful, and precises details on what I made just to get comments or attention?

The answer is, shamefully, yes. From a to z, anything that might have cause food envy to others, I posted. I feel so ashamed to have taken such pleasure from being validated, why did I need that? Because I wanted to prove to myself and to others that I was good at something?

And more importantly what changed for me to barely post anything food related? I don't need to prove to anyone that I can cook, or boast that I haven't bought store made bread in almost a year, or say this and that just to get attention to what Im doing. I get all the attention I need when Jeff asks me if I can make that sort of pie again, or if I can bake that special cinnamon bread I made last month. And instead of fighting to be the best and most knowledgeable baker out there, Im happy to share my recipes and tips with anyone who bothers to ask.

I feel so much better than I did, so much lighter, and so much more content. Life is good, and I dont need to broadcast it across a social network.

1 comment:

  1. Is that really why? *Face plant*

    Isn't someone supposed to like you for you.. and er.. cough.. not that you can't bake (right dear?) heh.

    Throw back to the fifties with that one eh.

    But I can understand the needing to be validated... though I think I'm at the point of not needing random strangers to do it.

    ReplyDelete