Saturday, August 6, 2011

Poem of the Month - Making a Difference

The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.
One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with children.
He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided their best option in life was to become a daycare provider?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about daycare providers:
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, watch kids."
To stress his point he said to another guest;
"You're a babysitter, Susan.
Be honest.
What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied,
"If you really want to know what I make,
I will tell you.
I make kids play harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a completed art project feel
like winning the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids share, speak kindly
and be accountable for their actions.

"You want to know what I make?
I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them try.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them understand that if you use your brains,and follow your heart, you can accomplish anything.
I make them know they are important and loved.
I make them know they are special.
I make them know if someone ever tries to judge them by what they make, they must pay no attention because that person just didn't learn."
Susan paused and then continued.
"You really want to know what I make?"
"I MAKE A DIFFERENCE."

"What do you make?"

No comments:

Post a Comment