Thursday, July 28, 2011

Company is coming

Have you ever had impromptu guests announce that they will be coming over for supper, and having nothing prepared for dessert? Well that is exactly what happened this afternoon. I learned this morning that we had a couple of our friends coming around at 5:00, and with a whole lot to do, I had no time to run to the grocery store for extra supplies, so I had to completely rely on what I already had in my pantry and freezer.

And being an advocate of using what you have rather than running to buy extra for a particular recipe, I thought, no biggie! And then when I finally got home, I realized I had less than 45 minutes to whip something up. Hmm.. Looked in the freezer, and thankfully, I had just frozen some blueberries a few nights prior, and bingo! I knew what I had to do.

A blueberry grunt that is. Yes, I said grunt. I mean talk about fast, tasty, and simple! And announcing that you are serving grunt for dessert is also a great conversation starter/booster! Now the original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, which is horrid, so I dramatically reduced that and substituted most of it with some honey (which happens to be one of my favorite flavor combination with blueberries, and also happens to be waaay less processed than white sugar).

Blueberry Grunt

Ingredients
  • 3 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  •  1/8 cup honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Arrange the blueberries in the bottom of a casserole dish; sprinkle 1/4 sugar over the blueberries.
  3. Cream together the shortening, honey, and egg. Add the milk, flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until evenly combined. Drop by spoonfuls on top of the blueberries.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment